Thursday, April 19, 2012

Things just got a whole lot worse..

We woke up in good spirits again today.  I guess we are starting to realize it is what it is and there is nothing that we can do about.  We've started to "ride the current".  I did my usual, got all dressed up, made us both berry, mango, and banana smoothies, and woke Dusty up.  He quickly showered and got dressed.  We had an appointment with our GI oncologist.  We were in a great mood.  I thought we were going to hear good news today and give us our chemo start dates, chemo brands, and get us all in order to start our cure.

Our favorite nurse called us back.  We did dusty's vitals and then went into one of the patient rooms.  She told us about all of the events coming up that we could take advantage of: on Thursdays the museum is free, on the first Tuesday of the month the zoo is free, and we are within "free shuttle" distance to Miller Outdoor Theatre and Herman park, where they host many free shows.  We were excited to have more info on things to do.  She also showed us her band on Youtube and gave us her cell number, anytime we wanted to go out, to call her and she would tell us where her band was playing that night.  She is so great!
Next came a student doing research.  They love Dusty.  He is a young rare esophageal cancer patient.  They ask us for samples everywhere we go.  They did extra biopsies and always take extra blood for research.  Dusty is glad to help research, being a biologist.  She had a packet for us to fill out and asked us a ton of questions.  When Dr. Ajani came in she had to leave.  Dr. Ajani is such a genius that he isn't a man of many words.  He pulled up the endo with ultrasound and said that Dusty had two tumors 4+ cm in size.  He also noticed a spot on his liver.  Here we go again.  He said Dusty's cancer was very advanced and has been there for a long time.  I could see Dusty beginning to melt so I stepped in.  "Are you saying this is stage 4?"  Dr. Ajani said, "No because it is still localized."  Meaning, it hasn't spread to other organs.  But, I thought he saw something on the liver?  I just took the diagnoses he said because I didn't want to hear otherwise.  He said, "It is a deep stage 3.  Due to Dusty's age he does still qualify for the surgery."  Thank you Jesus.  He said there are a few more very small tumors developing in the general region and he wants to change the plan.  Not this again.  Back to the unknowns.  He wants us to go back to Augusta and do 9 weeks of three different types of chemotherapies without any radiation.  There is a serum in your blood that can encourage metastases.   A normal person's count of this serum is 0-3, a smoker is 3-6, but Dusty's is 54.  He doesn't understand why Dusty's is so high.  I'm sure they can't wait to pick and prod him some more to find out why.  The doctor said his blood is trying to spread the cancer.  You've got to be kidding me.  So not only is cancer trying to kill him but now his blood is trying to kill him.  I asked why he didn't want to do radiation along with the chemo and he said, "Because it will kill him."  Let's not do that.  When you take radiation it makes the cancer cells angry and want to spread.  With Dusty's blood serum counts so high he doesn't want to risk spreading.  He wants to just do chemo to kill the cells that are there and stop spreading.  So, we will do 9 weeks in Augusta, then move back to Houston and continue with the original plan (6 weeks of strong chemo and proton therapy (radiation), 6 weeks in Augusta to regain strength and then 2 weeks back in Houston for the surgery).  We just went from 14 weeks to 23 weeks.  Dusty is sad that he will be in Houston for Reynolds first day of kindergarten.  :(
The doctor left the room and the student came back in.  All I wanted to do was scream at her.  Really, are we really doing this.  We just got horrible news.  The last thing we wanted to do was answer questions about family history, diet, and living environments.  We were over this place and wanted to leave.  We walked back to our hotel room and didn't say a word.  Neither of us could talk.  I finally broke the silence and asked him what he wants from me.  "Do you want me to talk to you about it?  Do you want me to be quiet?  Do you want me to cry with you and hug?  What do you want me to do to help you?"  Being a caregiver is a difficult job.  I don't know how to do it and I'm not good at it.  I never know what to say.

The rest of the day was very hard.  We did a lot of crying and had many quiet moments.  We decided to  each take a Xanax and take a big nap.  We woke up refreshed and clear minded.  I think we have accepted this as a good thing.  We get to come home and do many weeks at home with the love and support of our friends and family.  But, we still have to come back and continue where we are ending today.

Our survival rates are low but our spirits are high and Dusty's strength is high.  He is young and WILL beat this.  He has to.  As for me, I can't breathe, my world is caving in, and all I want to do is sleep.  I'm scared to death, of death, of losing my life, my husband.  Please God, I need you, I need him.  

http://www.everydayhealth.com/esophageal-cancer/progression-of-esophageal-cancer.aspx

9 comments:

  1. Stacey you both are so loved by so many. There are no right things to say except you can do this. I am here for you whenever you need me. I have been a caregivers to someone close so i know what you are saying. I will help you as much as I can.

    Toni Birmingham

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know you but found your blog from my family in Augusta. I live right outside SW Houston and would be willing to help you in any way while you stay in Houston. Even if you need someone to talk to face to face... I'm praying your family keeps strength through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Stacey, I went to middle/high school with you guys, my name is Naomi Ramirez (was Gonzalez throughout school) Just want to drop by and give you an encouraging scripture. In Isaiah 41:10 it says ,So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. There is an awesome song by Hillsong, called "Healer" watch video on Youtube. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your (our) Aunt Donna has kept us posted and gave us the link to your blog. I'm at a loss for words and can only say Mom and I are sending hugs, love and prayers your way.

    Much love,

    Cindy and Jo Wurster

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will keep you in my prayers. I have just been diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus Disease which is pre cancer. So reading your blog scares me to death but know God will get your family through this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Stacey,
    We went to high school together, I was Ashley Smith then, and we used to act crazy in Mrs. Alston's Spanish class. Your blog is touching, and it completely breaks my heart. I am praying for you and your family. My favorite bible verse always helps me in tough times, Psalms 18.2: "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer, my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my sheild, the horn of my salvation and my stronghold." God will be with you and your family always. Also, I am a RN
    now, soon to be Family Nurse Practitioner, and I have experience with patients with cancer of this
    type, if you ever have medical questions or just need to talk please feel free to send me a message,
    I just sent you a facebook friend request.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacey, everyone's cancer experience is unique, but perhaps my survivor cancer perspective can help here. Although a change in treatment plans is unsettling - it really helps to be able to visualize what is coming next and to see the path to winning the war against cancer - a change in treatment plans, IMNSHO, is A Good Thing. First, it reminds you that you are getting treatment at the forefront of cancer knowledge and research - and the more they know, the better off you are. Second, it means that the onco sees you as an individual, not as a standard NIH treatment plan - and the more individual data they can bring to bear, the better off you are. I suspect that the prospect of preliminary chemo prior to the aggressive chemo + radiation is daunting, but you have advantages that must not be overlooked. Dusty is young, and that is a HUGE advantage, and together you are strong. Fighting cancer is fighting a war, not fighting a battle. You fight a battle, and then wait for the data to tell you if you've won, and then fight another battle. For me, the wait-to-see-if-you-won-the-battle was the hardest part. Remember as well that you do not have to win every battle to win the war. ..... I hope my perspective helps you reframe this treatment plan change into the "here's how we win the war" perspective that I see.....

    Love ya'll - cousin Jean Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean Anne,

    I can't tell you how much that post means to me. I love your attitude and I love the comment about not having to win every battle to win the war. Thank you for the words of wisdom. I love you and miss you and can't wait to share another beer with you. Hope to see you soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete