Saturday, April 14, 2012

Ride the current.

In a couple of blogs you have heard me talk about a couple that I met, Steve and Becky.  Meeting them seemed like I was watching a lifetime movie.  Dusty and I decided to eat lunch at the restaurant in the Rotary Hotel (the hospital hotel that we have been raising money for).  In a facility like this it is hard not to eavesdrop into other peoples conversations.  You want to know how their progressions/treatments are coming along and we keep comparing our situation with others but we are quickly learning that all cancer is different, as is every patient.  We heard a lovely woman talking to her husband about getting good news today. I love eavesdropping on the "good news" stories.  I'm not going to give her private details. 
Dusty leaned over and started talking with them.  Me, being kind-of personal (well, until this blog!), got irritaded that he was bothering them while they were trying to celebrate.  But, they didn't hold back, they started talking to us and telling us a little of their story and helping us with any questions that we had.  They pretty much had us sold on the hotel.  Rotary should pay them for advertisement!  We finished our lunch and went to the front desk at the hotel.  We started to talk pricing and ask about the rooms.  They didn't have a room that they could show us.  Just then I felt the softest hands hold mine and say you can come see our room. It was Becky.  She said we could come see their room.  We went up to there room and ended up staying for a few hours.  Becky told us about her story with cancer and had such a positive attitude about it all.  It made me breakdown crying.  Here is me, with my husband who is just starting with his treatment and I'm hating life and here is a woman who has been surviving cancer for 8 years and she has the best spirit I've ever met.  I cried saying, "I can't wait to be where you are emotionally and spiritually."  She said, "Trust me, I've had my days."  She is a teacher and listening to her talk is like listening to Randy Pausch or Steve Jobs speak.  She is so inspirational and uplifting.  Her voice and words were like an angel singing.  Becky, I am striving to be like you.  And to Steve, her loving and supporting caregiver.  I envy your strength and love and hope that I can be half the partner to Dusty that you have been to Becky.

To you both:  I love you and know that we will meet again.  Maybe at Disney World!  And, yes, Becky, some days I may call you to "bitch!"  :)

Becky told us that we've already survived cancer.  He has it now and is surviving.  So we are surviving cancer! Also, she is a big fan of Disney, as are we, so she told us to "go with the flow".  Like in Finding Nemo, don't try to fight the current, ride the current.  Don't try to fight it or you'll wear yourself out.  Do what the doctors say and ride the current.

We will save Saint Raphael for when we really need him.  Thank you for the advice.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning, Stacey! I see that you are in the care of God. He sent you Becky. I have know Becky for literally decades! When you look in Becky's face, you catch a glimpse of the face of God. She has been through so much and had her down days (as you surely will experience also) but through it all, she has held onto hope and the people God put in her path. Like you Becky has a very strong family support system. I am so happy that you are reaching out to people. Soon you will start hearing about the blessing that you have been to them.

    Know that your family has become my prayer priority. That means that you and Dustin and your two boys will be my first prayer in the morning and my last prayer at night. By this evening, you will be on some mighty prayer lists - from Colorado to Florida to right here in "Beckyland!" Keep close contact with Becky - she was surely sent to you by God. Your family has all the ingredients for a cure. Now we'll just get to cookin'!

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy!!! Much to tell but I was given a death sentence of 6 months August 18 with advanced stage 3 EC. Bull hockey!!! It is Now May 3rd and I am awesome!!! Way too much to write so Please go to my DAILY journal I hsve kept since August with my story!!! www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomaswcarson Also, you can email me at tcarson@eccc.edu. I am winning my alien war and believe me, my awesome wife and caregiver Brenda, is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete