Wednesday, April 11, 2012

So, we're here to look at your cancer?

We tried to go about our normal lives and focus on getting the prep hell done for the Masters.  Dr. Lal ordered us to do a CT scan on Friday, March 23.  His words to me, in that private room, on that awful day, were, "I want to do a CT scan tomorrow to see how deep it goes."  It?  What is "it" that he is talking about?  Was this his indication that "it" is cancer?  So, Dusty and I go Friday morning for the CT scan.  My dad, Rusty, (yes, I'm married to a Dusty and my dad's name is Rusty) and Dusty's mom, Sue, showed up to give us support.  Dusty went back to do the CT scan and we all three waited.  I remember Rachel Ray show was on and we tried to watch it and not talk too much about cancer but it was the elephant in the room.  My dad saw the nurse guiding Dusty to the bathroom and he looked sick and when he came out he looked like a ghost.  He was pale and sweaty.  He didn't look like himself at all.  His eyes were large and he look like he had just witnessed a child's murder.  We all got up and ran to him.  I kept asking what happened and what was wrong.  He didn't answer until we got out of the office and into the foyer of the large green glass building.  He said it was just the stuff he had to drink that made him sick but I didn't believe him.  I asked again.  He said, "When the nurse took him back and looked at his file she said, "So, we're here to look at your caner?  Esophageal cancer, right?"  Dusty said, "Wow, that is the first time anyone has called it that."  She quickly tried to cover her tracks.  But the damage was done.  Dusty got sick and couldn't recover.  He tried to keep a brave face for the three of us but he wasn't fooling anyone.  We knew.   We could see if all over him that he was like a scared man running through the woods being chased by a bear and now bleeding.....

2 comments:

  1. Dear Stacey & Dusty,

    You two are the strongest people I know. I look up to you both in so many ways, especially in my marriage I find myself thinking what would Stacey do. Your marriage, your faith in each other and in the love you have is amazing and inspiring. I can't imagine going through what you are going through, but I want you to know that Hollis and I are thinking about you and praying for you everyday. We are only a phone call away and we will be there for you anytime. We love you so much, always and forever.

    xoxoxooxoxoxoxoox

    Grace & Hollis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are going to get through this. Life throws so many things at you and can change forever in a minute. You two are the strongest people I know and can make it through anything. You love for each other an friendship is amazing. But now, you are in God's hands. Keep praying and we will pray for you. We are to know Him all the time and these times are trying, but He is there. You are with the best doctors you could ask for. You have all of our support. We are here for you forever! Anything you need, just ask. You are my best friends. I love you guys so much and I hate to see you go through this, but at the end of this, you will be stronger. The boys need you and you are not going anywhere. Just going through a fight temporarily. We love you so much!!!!!!!!! This fight will end with you healthy! There is no other option!
    Love you,
    Chris & Ashley

    ReplyDelete