Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I ain't too proud to beg!

Okay, so I met a lady yesterday who has been surviving (we don't say battling) cancer for 8 years.  She is my new hero and mentor.  Becky, I'm eternally grateful for you.  I can't wait to be in a peaceful state of mind like you.  I will give the story of our meeting on another blog but she taught me to accept blessing for what they are, blessings.

This blog is a plead.  Everyone is wanting to help and I'm am not too proud to accept.  I need help.  Yes, my family is helping tremendously and everyone else who can, but it is a long, EXPENSIVE process.  We have two options as far as living arrangements:

1. There is a hotel ~3 stars within a mile of the hospital with a free shuttle all day back and forth to the hospital.  It will cost ~$4500 for the 6 weeks.  I'm not sure how clean they will keep the hotel and he will be very susceptible to sickness.

2. There is a hotel ~5 stars attached to the hospital with "cancer patient cleanliness".  It will cost ~$5500 for the 6 weeks.  Dusty will have to do blood work nightly and have his cell counts taken.  They offer this service at the hotel.  If he is too ill they can come to his room and administer some services.  It is more of a convince thing and a comfort.  There will be days where he will have appointments in the morning and appointments again in the afternoon.  Staying in the hospital he can come back to his room in-between and rest.  They have free shuttles to the Whole Foods and Target shopping center.  There is a restaurant in the hotel and many little market places in the hotel.  They also have a pool, spa, gym, and beauty shop.  It is a great place.  To me, the $1000 is worth the difference.  My Uncle Harland had cancer and didn't die from the cancer, he died from the infection that he got while his immune system was weakened.

Food is not included in the hotel.  So that is another expense.  Dusty will be on a strict diet, mostly expensive organic foods and I'm going to endure it along with him.  I won't eat a filet in front of him, while he sips on spinach smoothies!

Our airfare will be around $4200 total.

Plus, we have a mortgage back home, bills, and two children.

Anything will help.  I have over 1,000 views on this blog.  If each of you could donate a few dollars, it will add up.  PLEASE!

I ain't too proud to beg!


17 comments:

  1. You got it...just tell me where to send it.
    -Lauren Adcock

    ReplyDelete
  2. on my home blog page there is a donation button on the right side. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey, I submitted a short version of your story and this link to the online community Reddit.com. Hopefully we can get this out there and get some help. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a blessing. I'm learning to take a blessing as love and not charity. Thank you for your support. Miss you!

      Delete
  4. As soon as I am on a computer instead of my iPhone I will be reposting also. I want to try and get you guys as much help and attention as possible. Sending prayers. And you needn't thank me sweetheart. God has your backs and sondo your friends and family. And me too. Be strong.
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please tell me where to send money. I don't have much but I want to help. I've read this blog all morning and can't stop crying. You and Dusty are strong and can & WILL beat this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a donation button on the right side of the blog page. Thank you Megan. Hope you and Brad are doing well and little Phil!

      Delete
  6. Hey! I don't know if you remember me from high school, but my name is rachel leach. I saw the link thru elaine's fb & started reading. Y'all have a beautiful famil & I am praying for y'all. Stacey, keep your head high. & remember your not alone in anything. & I'm glad you have a wonderful friend like elaine by your side. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried to get help thru tha American Cancer Society? Yhey can help with finacial issues re: anything cancer related. I am a breast cancer survivor (almost 2 yr mark). They can also give you many ppl to contact for other needs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to get through to them and I have a hard time with their website. It is hard to find financial support only links to donate on their website.

      Delete
    2. Keep trying. Call the american cancer society. Put a reliable family member or friend in charge of tracking down help. I am praying for your whole family.

      Delete
  8. Hey Stacey,

    I am friends with your cousin Grace. I just read your story. You are going to be in great hands at MD Anderson. My mother was diagnosed with stage 4 larynx cancer. She was given 5 months to live by the local doctors. When she found out we were expecting she decided to go to MD Anderson to try to prolong her life for a few more months so she could meet her first grandchild. Two years later she is still alive. All of the doctors are angels. Her cancer had spread to her lungs and they were able to get rid of both tumors and her tumor on her larynx.

    We are praying for you and your family. I have faith the folks at MD Anderson will get rid of his cancer and he will be back normal in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacey- is there a Ronald McDonald House where you are going? They offer lodging for almost nothing. Tell me where you're going and I will call the House here and see if they can make a call.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweetheart, I will send what I can monthly to help with your support. I will also help with the kids if someone would call me. 708 3613353. Give Dusty a special hug and kiss for me..love to all..Aunt Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't know me but my parents told me all about you guys, I'm Beck and Steve's daughter. Hi :) I'm Ande! And I would love to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Ande! Thank you so much for your donation. Your parents are amazing people. They have eternally touched me.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete