Tuesday, August 14, 2012

We have three security guards

Friday, August 3, we walked out to our car to go to the hospital to do Dusty's daily radiation treatment.  I noticed my passenger glass window was shattered.  I stopped by the front office and told the manager what had happened.  He said, "When you return from radiation we will call the police and file a report."  We went on with our routine.  When we got back the hotel manager called the police and they came out to file a report.  The police said it is a common thing in Houston and sadly the only time they meet nice people is in cases like this.  Lovely town.  While probing me I told the police officer our story and why we are here in Houston.  He felt bad that we were having to deal with this on top of fearing for our future.  He said he would do drive-bys at night and keep an eye on things.  Just then, the hotel manager said (in a "holy" proud tone), "We have three security guards!"  Oh, WOW!  Three security guards, well, they must be employees of the year!  I said, "Yeah, I've seen two of them sleeping on their golf carts, twice!"  He looked surprised and said he would take care of that and that it is noted.  Well, that's just great!  Glad I could secret shop your security guards.  I called around to see if any of the traveling glass repair companies were available.  No one could fit us in so Saturday, Ashley took us to get my window repaired ($208).  I'm so thankful for Ashley, don't know what I would do without her here!

Monday, August 6, Dusty has his last chemotherapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yes, please take a moment to celebrate!

Monday night I had a hard time going to sleep.  Reynolds, my first born, my pride and joy, started kindergarten on Tuesday morning.  I was going through many emotions about missing this huge event in his life.  I didn't get much sleep.  I woke up early so that I could talk to Reynolds before he went to school.  He was so excited. His enthusiasm brightened my mood.  Not long after we hung up the hotel phone rang.  It was the front desk telling me that the manager was outside my door and wanted to talk to me.  I thought it was about my window.  I got up and went out there.  As we started walking towards my car he said, "We had another break-in."  I turned the corner expecting to see my window broken when...... BAM, I saw it, my car was sitting on blocks.  They stole my wheels and tires.  I lost it.  I couldn't believe it.  I screamed, "ARE YOU SERIOUS?"  I said, "Where was the security?  What were they doing?  Sleeping again?"  He told me that he took their golf carts away since I told him that they were sleeping on their golf carts.  Oh good, take a lazy person's transportation away and expect them to WALK around a hotel!  I couldn't take it.  I had to go get Dusty because I was ready to collapse.  I opened the hotel door and said, "Dusty, my car is sitting on blocks." He quickly came down.  After a few choice words with the manager we had to go inside and get ready to go to radiation.  Before going our separate ways the manager said he would call his insurance company and that they have special cases for things like this.  So, in my mind they were going to make it right.  Ashley came and got us and took us to radiation.  She got to meet some of my "waiting room buddies" and we shared our car story with them.  I called the hotel twice during the day and never got an answer from the manager.  At 6:00 pm I went up to the front lobby and spoke with the him.  He gave me the insurance company's phone number and our claim number.  He then told me that is it between us and the insurance company and the hotel and insurance is not responsible for theft or damage to cars.  This didn't sit well with me, especially since we are spending almost $6,500 at this hotel.



MORE TO COME ON THIS STORY.......  I'M PLAYING PHONE TAG WITH THE INSURANCE AGENT FOR MARRIOTT.  I DIDN'T GET ANYWHERE WITH THEIR CORPORATE OFFICE.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my :( What a mess. I hope everything gets worked out and this can be repaired in a timely fashion. Is this hotel associated with the hospital in any way? Or is it separate?

    Thinking of you guys :) Congrats on the first day of school, Reynolds! :)

    ReplyDelete